Salekhard is the locaction of the Ob correctional labour camp and Construction 501 (established 5.2.1949; abolished 12.2.1954).
Employment of prisoners according to data from preserved reports and statements: Completion of Chum–Salekhard (Labytnangi) railway line; construction of a ferry through Ob; construction of railway line from Salekhard to the east to the Pur River; construction of a dock in the bay at Novy Port at the mouth of the Ob; launch of the Chum-Salekhard-Igarka railway line leading 1,200 km through taiga and swamps (the so-called Dead Road); construction and launch of a ferry across the Yenisei; construction of a port in the area of Igarka and a boat repair yard; construction of a settlement for employees of the dock and repair yards; construction of a second track on the Pechora–Vorkuta 4 railway; work on the construction of the Vorkuta─Kosju and Chanova─Mulda 5 railway lines; operation of a factory producing mineral wool in the locality of the Beregovoy passing loop; construction of a timber dock in Salekhard (for the Ministry of the Wood and Paper Industries of the USSR); repair of the floor of the entrance to the moorings in Labytnangi and Salekhard; construction of a railway branch from the main line to the Salekhard fisheries canning combine and Glavrybsbyt freezing plant on a branch of the Poluj River south-east of Salekhard (for the Ministry of Fisheries Industry of the USSR); construction of stores and apartment units in the settlement of Urengoy on the Taz River; construction of a freezing plant; construction of warehouses; construction of an ice depot; apartment construction; logging; production of lime; quarrying and sand; clothing and repair services.
Subordinate to: initially the Northern Administration of the Main Administration of the Camps of Railway Civil Engineering of the Interior Ministry of the USSR and from 12.11.1949 directly under the Main Administration of the Camps of Railway Civil Engineering of the Interior Ministry of the USSR; then from 2.4.1953 the Main Administration of the Correctional Labour Camps of the Ministry of Justice of the USSR and from 28.1.1954 the Main Administration of the Correctional Labour Camps of the Ministry of the Interior of the USSR.
Officially reported prisoner numbers: 1.1.1949–50,019; 1.1.1950– 41,203; 1.1.1951– 41,718; 1.1.1952–13,499; 15.3.1953 – 27,812; 1.5.1953 – 21,436; 15.6.1953 – 4200; 15.7.1953 – 5390; 1.1.1954 – 12,725.
Obozy Gułagu na mapach i zobrazowaniach satelitarnych
Obejrzyjcie łagry położone wzdłuż Martwej Drogi na zdjęciach satelitarnych oraz archiwalnych mapach wojskowych. Dzięki kolekcji zebranych przez nas...
The Dead Road – research
During three expeditions (2009, 2011, 2013) we have mapped a total of 15 abandoned camps along the so-called Dead Road Railway – Gulag Construction...
Historia Martwej drogi
Budowę szlaku kolejowego rozpoczęto w 1947 roku. Większość pracowników (według obliczeń nawet 100 000) stanowili więźniowie obozów pracy Gułag.